Batting "pokeys" on Back

A place to get help when you have a question about or problem with your A1 Quilting Machine. This forum is monitored by A1 Dealers.

Moderators: Brenda J, Jen Alexander

Batting "pokeys" on Back

Postby Sis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 pm

I’ve just ventured into quilting for pay! I’ve done a dozen pantos (pro bono) for the Sew ‘n Love group sponsored by my local quilt shop. They liked my work, so I’ve submitted my panto book and am working on my first job – it’s a turning 20 Christmas quilt made by one of the shops employees and they plan to hang it to show my work. Great, right!

I’ve loaded the quilt (dark red backing) and the top – the batting is white and denser than I’ve worked on previously. I started out with a sz 20 titanium (used) needle and so fine in the top and bobbin – tension is fine but batting pokeys are there and they show big time in the back. I’ve changed the needle to a new size 18 – thread breaks, but fewer pokeys. I’ve changed the thread to YLI on top and so fine (again tension ok) on bottom – same story. Changed to a NEW sz 20 titanium needle – same stuff. Changed to YLI in both bobbin and on top. Same story --- I even cut out a small piece of batting on the side and used my batting – was better but still some batting pokeys.

Any ideas about how to solve this? Help!

sissy
Sis

Postby Shelley » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:53 pm

I had this happen on two quilts now with black backs. Both had W&W or W&N batting.

What I was told was that this sometimes happens with that batting, and you can try spritzing the back with water, take a needle and poke them all back in (I'm not THAT crazy!), take a felt pen and color them to match...

Eventually, they will fall off or work their way back in (W&W or W&N). One of the quilts was a wall hanging, so the pokies weren't an issue.

I'm curious what those with more experience come up with.
A-1 Elite, aka Cujo
Wilbur WA
http://wheatridgestudios.blogspot.com/
Shelley

Postby Brenda J » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Sounds like a bad batting and backing combination. Can you change one of those? Also, make sure your batting is the right side up/down.
Brenda Janovy
A-1 Dealer
CO, Western IA, MN, ND, NE, SD
Brenda J

Postby Gwen Estes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 am

If the backing reads white on back of the fabric it may be the backing poking through. There are a lot of fabrics out there that are doing this. Just a thought. Also, make sure you have the right side of the backing up.
Gwen Estes
Gwen Estes

Batting "pokeys"

Postby Sis » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 am

OK, which side should be up. How do I tell one side from the other -- I've done 35 or so quilts -- I feel dumb not knowing there is a up and down side of batting. I don't know the kind of batting -- they just cut it at the quilt shop and send it with the quilt.

It's diffently batting coming through -- and I could change the batting to what I've been using.
Sissy Thomas
A-1 Elite
Goodlettsville, TN
Sis

Postby Megan Best » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:05 am

I get this with the Warm co products, and they do eventually fall off or wear off. I warn people when they bring me this batting. Have a sample made with this batt before and after washing, then you can show them what it does and that it does go away.

I then give them the option to buy batting from me.

I have heard both ways is the top, and I can never remember. I think it is the rougher side is what you put on top to minimize the batting pokeys.
Megan Best
A1 Dealer
CompuQuilter Dealer
www.bestquilter.com
Megan Best
Site Admin

Postby Gwen Estes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:07 am

Batts should be loaded with the scrim down (touches the backing), and the "fluffy" side up (against the top)
Gwen Estes
Gwen Estes

Postby Donna McCallion » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:43 am

I have noticed this more and more first with Warm and White, and now with Warm and Natural. I wonder if they changed something in their manufacturing process.. I have always loved the Warm products.
Oh well....

I am not sure what scrim is, and what is feels like. Can someone explain?

thanks
Donna McCallion
A1/CQ Dealer
NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, and VA
Donna McCallion

Postby Kim S » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 am

Warm & White and Warm & Natural have a right side and a wrong side. The wrong side is folded IN when it comes off their machines... so I know when I'm taking batting of one of the rolls that I have, the outside is the right side. Before I cut it off the roll I put a safety pin on the right side so I don't get it confused after it's cut. ( I confuse easy :? ) It's easier to tell with Warm & Natural... the side (outside of the fold) has more brown specs from the pod & seeds. Some people call this the "dirty side".

When one of my customers brings me batting, I will cut a small piece of it and stitch through it in one of the corner of the backing. If I get pokies... I have the wrong side up.

Hope this makes since... I think I need more coffee!

Donna... the scrim is what holds the batting together. They have a sheet of scrim that the cotton goes down on then they needle punch it into the scrim to hold it together.
Kim S

Postby Megan Best » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:44 pm

I was hoping Kim would chime in here.
We went to the Warm co factory for a tour, which is right near Kim.

I couldn't remember which way it was rolled.

Thanks Kim!
Megan Best
A1 Dealer
CompuQuilter Dealer
www.bestquilter.com
Megan Best
Site Admin

Postby Donna McCallion » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks for the information Kim...
Do you use Warm Products...
Donna McCallion
A1/CQ Dealer
NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, and VA
Donna McCallion

Postby Gwen Estes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:17 pm

I use warm a lot. I do not have problems with the warm that comes in bags, however I do have problems with the warm that comes on a roll. The warm in the bags appears to be a heavier nicer batting. Not sure why, but that has been my experience.
Gwen Estes
Gwen Estes

Postby Kim S » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Donna McCallion wrote:Thanks for the information Kim...
Do you use Warm Products...

Yes Donna... I use them almost exclusively. One reason is because the factory is so near my house. I don't have to pay shipping!!! Also, I like to shop local and support the local businesses... it keeps our community working :D

And I do prefer their batting to most others. I have a quilt on my bed that has hobbs 80/20... this quilt get washed every couple months or so(because of my dog). You can feel where the batting is migrating and getting thin in some places. I quilted this one about 3 1/2 years ago.

The quilt on the guest bed (also get washed frequently because of my dog) has Warm & Natural and still feels full of batting. I quilted this one about 5 years ago...
Kim S

Batting "pokeys'

Postby Sis » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for your help. I did end up ironing the back and using a size 18 needle – turns out the backing is the culprit – it was an RJR fabric, red pattern which reads almost white on the wrong side – and the thread count was not great … so a good bit of the problem was the wrong side of the backing showing through – when ‘rubbed’ would disappear.

I stayed in contact with the quilter and told her it wasn’t going to get any better – but would probably resolve itself when washed. She LOVED the pattern on top and plans to wash the quilt.

Whew! I was glad to get this one off my frame.
Sissy Thomas
A-1 Elite
Goodlettsville, TN
Sis

Return to Let's Get Technical