thread uptake/bobbin

A place to get help when you have a question about or problem with your A1 Quilting Machine. This forum is monitored by A1 Dealers.

Moderators: Brenda J, Jen Alexander

thread uptake/bobbin

Postby Robyn Smith » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:23 pm

I just finished a quilt, cleaned and oiled, changed the needle ready for my next project. I cannot get the bobbin thread to come up. I've double checked everything I can think of. Is this a timing issue or am I missing something?
Robyn Smith

Re: thread uptake/bobbin

Postby Brenda J » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Here are a couple things to check:

Make sure your TUR (take up roller) is at it's lowest position
Double check that your needle is ALL the way up, and the scarf is to the back (we've all put on in backwards sometime-- or will)
Rethread the machine

Timing won't change between quilts. Look at the last things you did and focus on those things to troubleshoot first.

Let us know if you need more than these things.....
Brenda Janovy
A-1 Dealer
CO, Western IA, MN, ND, NE, SD
Brenda J

Postby Robyn Smith » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Okay, I rethreaded the machine, made sure the scarf was at the back, the roller is in the lowest postition, even tried a different bobbin in case it was warped. Still nothing. Is this something my local rep may have to come visit me for?
Robyn Smith

Postby Brenda J » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Robyn,

Put in a different needle. Make sure it is the correct size (135 x 17). I had the wrong size sent to me once. Make sure that the new needle is ALL the way up-- you should be able to see the needle top in the hole above the needle all the way up. If that looks good, look at your needle bar height and check that you can see the eye of the needle but no metal above it (this is in the manual as well as the video).

Take off your throat plate and watch the rotation of the hook and the needle. Is the point of the hook crossing the scarf of the needle in the lowest 1/3?

If these measures don't work, give your dealer a call in the morning-- it is hard asking the right questions on a forum, but I hope this helps!
Brenda Janovy
A-1 Dealer
CO, Western IA, MN, ND, NE, SD
Brenda J

Postby Robyn Smith » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 pm

I tried the new needle, even put the old one back in to see if that would work. So I called my rep this morning and she is coming friday. She thought it might be a piece of thread or perhaps timing. I am also due for my second lesson so I will post after and let you know what we find. Thank you for helping, I know it is hard to explain what is happening without actually seeing it.
Robyn
Robyn Smith

Postby Robyn Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 pm

My wonderful rep Jen came today. We replaced the bobbin case, the needle bar needed adjusting, I loosend the wrong screw putting a needle in and it had slipped without me realizing what I had done! I know now :) She also did a quick timing, I get to learn that trick in more detail next week. I am back up and running! Yay!
Robyn Smith

Return to Let's Get Technical