New Bobbin cases

A place to get help when you have a question about or problem with your A1 Quilting Machine. This forum is monitored by A1 Dealers.

Moderators: Brenda J, Jen Alexander

New Bobbin cases

Postby Carol » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 pm

My current 'favorite ' bobbin case finally pooped out and I replaced it with a new one , I try to keep 2 new ones on hand, because they do wear out, warp or break after a time, some lasting longer than others.

I buy these cases directly from A-1 and never had any issues but these 2 newest ones ( I probably ordered them earlier this year) aren't clicking into the bobbin race like they normally would, I cant seem to get decent tension with prewounds no matter how much I fiddle (tension is not normally an issue for me)
and I am having some difficulty , especially with the metal bobbins (solid sided OLD ones from A-1) not wanting to stay seated in the case so it won't form a stitch.

I tried a different spring as I thought the included one was pushing the bobbin back out of the case. that didnt help.

I went ahead and ordered 2 more cases - from A-1 just in case these 2 I have on hand are defective.

Has A-1 changed to a different source to supply their bobbin cases ? Is there a compatability problem using these older meatal bobbins with a bobbin case ordered recently form A-1? should I look at buying a new batch of metal bobbins?

If you got your bobbin case recently from A-1 what metal bobbin do you prefer to use with them?

is there another source that you get your cases and metal bobbins from?

what do the resident experts think - when the new cases arrive and IF my issues reamain unresolved, does this indicate that I may need to look at adjusting or replacing parts on the machine in the bobbin area?

I appreiciate your help and suggestions. let me know if I need to provide more info . thanks!-Carol Detloff
Carol

Re: New Bobbin cases

Postby Brenda J » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:31 pm

I have noticed that some of the newer bobbin cases have backlash springs that just don't want to go as far into their spots as they should, resulting in more tension than normal. When you look from the top, can you still see the legs-- they should be far in enough to really only barely see them. I have widened that gap a tad with a thin screwdriver on a couple cases to get them in right, and then they were good.

I am not sure if A1 has changed suppliers. I can't answer that.... sorry.
Brenda Janovy
A-1 Dealer
CO, Western IA, MN, ND, NE, SD
Brenda J

Postby BethDahl » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Our new A-1 came with very low quality bobbin cases (springs fell out and lots of tension problems). In desperation we tried the bobbin case from our HQ16 -- it worked perfectly (very high quality bobbin case). We bought two more cases from HQ and for the A-1 and no more problems.

The HQ bobbin cases have a very valuable feature: A small screw on the face of the bobbin case can be used to directly adjust the tension of the backlash spring (fully captive in the case). This is in addition to the normal thread tension adjustment found with any bobbin case.

These bobbin cases are somewhat expensive ($75.00), but the ability to adjust backlash to our liking is priceless. Once adjusted to our liking, they keep their backlash settings well. Below is a link for anyone who might have an interest:

http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/produc ... bbin-case/

Note: If you expand the picture of the bobbin case you can easily see the backlash adjustment screw in the face of the bobbin case. I'm not sure that HQ is even aware that this bobbin case has the backlash adjustment feature. No reference to it anywhere in their documentation!

Beth and Dave Dahl
Beth Dahl
Longarm Quilting is a JOY!
BethDahl

Postby Carol » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for your reply Brenda, and Beth for your buying source if I can't get these newer cases to work , I will have to buy from another source, I appreciate your postings.

Brenda, your reply and solution sounds like what is happening on these newer cases for me. I would like to try this so I might be able to use the cases I have, but can you clarify what you did?

you said "When you look from the top, can you still see the legs-- they should be far in enough to really only barely see them. I have widened that gap a tad with a thin screwdriver on a couple cases "

Do you mean the 'legs' on the spring itself, and that you widen the gap in the bobbin case, by bending it open slightly with the end of the thin screwdriver, you mean the gap in the case that the spring ends tuck into?

thanks ladies for taking time to offer solutions for me.
Carol Detloff
A1 Elite/IQ
Carol

Return to Let's Get Technical